Strange World: Photographs by Wen Han Chang

strangeworld2.jpg

Current MFA Photo/Video student Wen Han Chang is showing photographs from his project "Strange World" from October 11- January 30, 2019 at the Griffin Museum of Photography. A reception will be held January 30, 2019 from 6:30-8pm.

The following is an excerpt from Chang's artists statement: "No one can be exempted from the need of sleep. In sleep, we are restored and refreshed while suspending between bodily functions and consciousness. We do not know what was happening when lying asleep. Further, those almost in trance are cut off from the reality.

strangeworld4.jpg

The camera lens was set up to focus on the surroundings such as ceilings, walls, and corners of my room. The shutter of camera would take pictures when I was not awake. When my perception was limited and cut off from the usual, the camera started to see, to reveal the world I never saw.

Every day and every night several kinds of light, came from the street-lamps, headlights and so on, went through the windows and reflected around. Rays of light implied that something travelled through time and space. The light caught by my camera left a stroke, a layer on the film. In other words, something or someone passed by, but their traces entered my room, being recorded by my camera."

Wen-Han Chang was born in Kaohsiung, a southern city of Taiwan, in 1982. His journey into photography began in university. While doing his BS in physics, he studied light, and was fascinated with laser photography and optics. After a career in medical photography, Wen Han moved to New York in 2017 to pursue his MFA in Photo/Video at School of Visual Arts, where he currently studies.