Yoav Friedlander solo exhibition ‘‘After the Fall’’ at Carrie Able Gallery

Yoav Friedlander, MFA Photo/Video alumni, presents a solo exhibition at the Carrie Able Gallery this month on Wednesday Nov. 14.

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 1.07.31 PM.png

Speaking on his images, Friedlander says:

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 1.06.29 PM.png

"Ever since I can remember it was photographs who introduced me to and informed me of my personal and collective past or present realities that are inaccessible or out of reach. Photographs had visually mapped reality. A broken promise we made to ourselves looking up to the medium as a neutral reflection of what visibly exists. We treat photographs as hard evidence, and to the extent that we find ourselves considering what is real to be different from how it should be according to its own image. Since the inception of photography, reality gradually became augmented by its own reflection. I am focusing my work at this point of friction."

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 1.22.46 PM.png

Yoav Friedlander is a miniature scale model fine artist and photographer. Born 1985 in Israel, Yoav received his BA in Photographic Communications from Hadassah Academic College Jerusalem in 2011, and graduated with an MFA in Photography Video and Related media from the School of Visual Arts NYC in 2014.

Friedlander has shown work at The Artists' House, Jerusalem, The Wassaic Project, N.Y., and The Venice Bienniale, among numerous other galleries, worldwide. He is also the co-founder of Float Photo Magazine.

For more information about Friedlander's upcoming solo exhibition, visit the event page or RSVP here.

©Yoav Friedlander, 201 North Pearl Street, Shamokin, PA, 2018

In a write up by Lenscratch, Friedlander when asked about the series and it’s motivations responded by saying”

For now I can’t tell what value my pictures might have, but I took them with a sense of urgency to capture all that was colorful and all that was about to change. One of these pictures documents St. Nicholas Coal Breaker, It also happens to be one the last photograph of it standing. it was torn down the next day. I never had intended to insert myself into American history through the back door like this. It is unclear how I, a child of the desert, found myself venturing into coal mines in the frost of winter.

To read more please click here.